Sunday, April 26, 2009

The first contact with my new friend

I emailed hoping to find out anything on this old scooter:

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1972 Vespa scooter that was previously used by the US Park Police and I am planning to do a complete restoration back to it's previous glory to show at local and possibly national Vespa events. It still has the remains of the side decals and front decal along with the property number on the front and also on a small decal behind the cowl. The bike is also marked with a small decal that says "McHal Police I". I would like to get the history on this unit if at all possible with details like who the officer was that used it and where it was used. Do you have any idea where I would start or what this bike may have been originally used for? The only thing I know so far is that it was purchased in Virginia at a sealed bid auction in the late 70's from the government. Thank you so much for any help you may be able to give me. Sincerely,


I actually got a response!

I was a Sgt. that trained officers on this scooter. If you can send me a photo.

Wow, now this scooter just became live. A member of the USPP that remembered and actually used to train officers on these Vespas. Some of the other history and emails that I have learned and received from the Sgt so far:

The Mcal sticker is probably something an officer added.It has nothing to do with the USPP. I am going to go thru so 800 Park Police photos to see if I can find a photo or two

These scooters were used on beat patrols especially us on the CandO Canal. Officers were trained on the canal, then sent to different districts. Its hard to remember that far back but I think the initial count was 8. If you are able to preserve the arrowhead decal, that was the National Park Service property number. I found in my archives a really nice photo of scooter. They will take it tomorrow and have a copy made.

The clams and such you spoke of on the scooter were often used to carry rain coats and rain pants.

I am really appreciative of all the work and time that the Sgt. has put in for me concerning this Vespa scooter. I want to make it available to the USPP when they have events after it is complete and restored. The Sgt. even had lunch recently with some fellow officers that also rode these unique Vespas. He is still searching for some original USPP scooter items that will really go well with the display of this scooter. Thanks Sgt!


No comments:

Post a Comment