Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Purchase

I spoke to him about the old Vespa and he stated that a friend of his wanted an import motorcycle that he had and they arranged for a trade. He said that he only had it about three days when I called him (I think it was a Friday) and that he was thinking about restoring it but had enough projects around the house. I asked him the story and it went like this:
"They guy I bought/traded it from used to ride it around his 60 acre farm when he was a kid somewhere around Port Royal, Virginia. His father mistakingly bought it at a sealed bid government auction back in the late 70's. His father thought he was bidding on a dump truck but wrote the wrong number down for the Vespa instead. He was very upset when he found out that he bought the scooter instead of the dump truck. He let the kids ride it around the farm until the clutch cable broke and it sat until I got it." I drove up to SC the following weekend with my trailer and son and picked it up. It actually looked a little better in person than the pictures showed because what looked like rust was actually........bat poop from the barn it was stored in! Apparently the bat poop is very oily and helped keep the floorboards almost rust free. When I arrived home that night my wife once again called me crazy....

No comments:

Post a Comment